- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 80 Times
This one-pot rice dish is full of flavor and is easy to make.
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1¼ cups long-grain rice
- 2½ cups hot chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- One 15 oz (420g) can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- ½ cup slivered almonds toasted
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Crumble the saffron threads into a small bowl, add 2 tbsp boiling water, and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the coriander and cumin. In batches, cook the chicken, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the saucepan and heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring often, about 5 minutes, until softened.
3. Stir in the rice. Return the chicken to the saucepan and stir in the stock, along with the saffron and its liquid, ½ tsp salt, and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes. Rinse and drain the chickpeas then stir in along with the raisins, and cook about 5 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a warm serving platter and serve hot, sprinkled with almonds and parsley.
Nutritional Benefits: Low fat.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox