These luscious cookies are appealingly chewy with just a hint of honey flavor. Once you’ve had one, it’s hard to resist another.
- ¾ cup (175 mL) whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup (175 mL) whole barley flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed Demerara or other raw cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 mL) liquid honey
- 2 cups (500 mL) old-fashioned (large flake) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
1. In a bowl, combine whole wheat and barley flours, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla and honey, beating and scraping down the sides of the bowl until blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in oats, coconut, cranberries and pecans.
3. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL), about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, on a baking sheet greased or lined with parchment. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
If you don’t like nuts, eliminate the pecans and double the quantity of cranberries. Similarly, if you don’t like cranberries, leave them out and double the amount of pecans.