- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 26 Times
This soothing soup is made easy by microwaving the potatoes ahead of time.
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 medium-large white potatoes, preferably russet
- 2 to 3 cups low-fat milk, rice milk, or soy milk
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese or Cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1. Microwave the sweet potatoes and white potatoes separately on high until easily pierced with a knife. Allow 4 minutes per sweet potato and test; add another minute each until done. Allow 2 minutes per white potato; add another minute each until done.
2. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slip the peels off and cut into large chunks.
3. Purée the potatoes in the food processor in two batches, adding 1 cup of water to each batch, until smooth and transfer to a soup pot. Or place the potatos in a soup pot with 2 cups water. Insert an immersion blender into the pot and process until smooth.
4. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add enough milk to make a fluid but fairly thick consistency. Add the cheese, salt, mustard, and nutmeg. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours before serving, or serve at once. Top each serving with a sprinkling of green peas.
Sautéed chopped leeks make a great garnish. Pass around in a small bowl to top individual portions.
MAKE IT A MEAL:
This filling soup is a good choice for a soup-and-salad meal.
© 2004 Nava Atlas
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Total fat: 11 g
Protein: 15 g
Fiber: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Cholesterol: 34 g
Sodium: 416 mg///
Total fat: 6 g
Protein: 11 g
Fiber: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 53 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 477 mg