Spanakopita, the Greek spinach pie, can be cut into small diamonds or squares and served as an appetizer. Good with other Greek or Middle Eastern appetizers, such as hummus and taramasalata, as a mezze platter.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 lb (900g) spinach, rinsed and shredded, but not dried
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 8 oz (225g) feta cheese, finely crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 tbsp butter, melted
- 14 sheets thawed frozen filo dough
- 11½ × 8in (29 × 20cm) baking or roasting pan
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Stir in the spinach, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in the dill and parsley, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, until the liquid evaporates and the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the saucepan. Transfer to a colander lined with paper towels, and let cool.
3. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the spinach and feta cheese and season with plenty of pepper.
4. Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C). Generously brush the pan with some melted butter. Line the pan with a sheet of filo dough, carefully pressing it into the sides and corners of the pan. Repeat with 6 more filo sheets.
5. Spread the spinach mixture into the pan. Repeat layering and buttering the remaining 7 filo sheets. Using kitchen scissors, trim away excess dough, and tuck the filo edges into the pan. Brush the top with any remaining butter. Bake for 1 hour, or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown all over.
6. Cut into squares and serve hot or warm.
Creamy Spinach Pie
Delete the cheese. After half of the filo has been layered, spread half of the spinach mixture into the pan. Spread with 2 cups cold bèchamel sauce and 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs, then the remaining spinach mixture. Finish layering with the remaining filo.