- 18 baguette slices (½ inch/1 cm thick)
- Olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded or grated cheese (any type or a mix)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large rimmed baking sheet
Preheat broiler, with rack placed 4 inches (10 cm) from heat.
1. Brush both sides of baguette slices lightly with oil and place on baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until toasted on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Sprinkle with cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Broil until cheese is just melted, about 1 minute. Let cool slightly on sheet on a wire rack and use warm.
Blue Cheese Croutons: Substitute 6 oz (175 g) blue cheese, crumbled, at room temperature, for the shredded cheese. We like Maytag, Gorgonzola or Saga.
Nutritional information is based on 2 croutons per serving, 1/2 teaspoon of added salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.