These small cream puffs are filled with a blend of cheese, herbs, and spices.
- 4 tbsp butter, plus more for the baking sheet
- ½ cup all purpose flour, sifted, plus more for the baking sheet
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 5 oz (140g) low fat cream cheese with garlic and herbs
- 2 tbsp low fat milk
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan or sharp Cheddar, or Crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bring the butter and ½ cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and quickly beat in the flour and salt with a wooden spoon. Return to very low heat and stir until the dough is smooth and very lightly films the bottom of the pan.
2. Remove from the heat and cool 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the beaten egg until the dough is glossy and thick. Stir in the cheese.
3. Butter and flour a baking sheet. Using 2 dessert spoons, drop 16 balls of the dough, spaced well apart, on the baking sheet. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
4. Remove from the oven and use a sharp knife to make a slit in the side of each puff to allow the hot steam to escape. Transfer the puffs onto a wire cake rack and let cool.
5. For the filling, mix the ingredients until combined. Split each puff open and fill with a teaspoon of the mixture. Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information is based on 16 servings.