Quick to make, this "peek-a-boo" vegetarian pastry makes the most of store-bought ingredients. Good with a green salad.
- One 17.3 oz (484g) box thawed frozen puff pastry
- All purpose flour, for dusting
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar
- One 10 oz (280g) jar sliced roasted bell peppers, drained
- 4 oz (115g) mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Beaten egg or milk, to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Dampen a large baking sheet. Roll out one sheet of the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Trim into a 10 × 6in (30 × 15cm) rectangle. Place the pastry on the baking sheet. Roll out and trim the remaining pastry to a 10 × 7in (30 × 18cm) rectangle. Lightly dust it with flour, then fold in half lengthwise. Make cuts ½ in (1cm) apart along the folded edge to within 1in (2.5cm) of the outer edge; unfold.
2. Spread the tomato paste over the pastry on the baking tray, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border. Top with the Cheddar. Pat the pepper slices dry with paper towels, then arrange them on the Cheddar. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and season with pepper.
3. Brush the edges of the pastry with water. Carefully place the remaining pastry over the filling and press the edges together to seal, trimming excess pastry. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve.
Goat Cheese and Red Onion Jalousie:
Omit the Cheddar and pepper and replace with this mixture: Cook 2 thinly sliced red onions in 1 tbsp each butter and olive oil over low heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes, or until tender. Stir in 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and a pinch of Italian dried herbs, and stir another minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Mix in 4oz (115g) crumbled goat cheese.