Cheese and Herb Corn Muffins
Moist and flavorful, these muffins pair nicely with bean soups. Try them with Long-Simmering Black Bean Soup
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together, game day
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationside dish
Mealbreakfast, brunch, dinner
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, savory
Type of Dishmuffins, quickbreads
- 1 cup stone-ground whole-grain cornmeal
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup rice milk, or more as needed
- 1 cup grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- ½ cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs, minced (choose from among oregano, thyme, tarragon, and chives)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together. Make a well in the center and pour in the yogurt, oil, and rice milk. Stir until well combined, adding more rice milk as needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter.
Fold in the grated cheese, corn kernels, and herbs.
Divide the batter among 12 lightly oiled or paper-lined muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean.
Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container as soon as the muffins are at room temperature.
2009 Nava Atlas