- Course: Antipasto/Mezze
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
A stuffed loaf filled with Italian flavors. Good with salads as part of a buffet table.
1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add 1 cup tepid water and the oil. Stir to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface, adding more flour as needed, about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
2. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Punch down the dough. Transfer to a lightly oiled work surface and roll into a 14 × 9in (35 × 23cm) rectangle. Combine the mozzarella, scallions, basil, and garlic. Spread the mixture over the dough, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border along all sides.
3. Starting from a short end, roll up tightly. Pinch the seams closed. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the underside. Transfer to a wire rack, brush the top with melted butter, and let cool completely.
Nutritional information is based on 14 servings.