Serve this dish with champagne.
- ¼ cup finely minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups rice, preferably Arborio rice
- 1¼ cup brut (dry) champagne
- 3 to 5 cups chicken broth, simmering
- ¼ cup half and half
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus additional for the table
• 1. Saute the shallots in the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook over medium heat until the rice is opaque and pearl-like, about 3 minutes.
• 2. Add 1 cup of champagne and stir until it is completely absorbed. Then add the hot broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and waiting until the broth is absorbed before adding more. Continue adding broth ½ cup at a time until the rice is cooked but still al dente, or firm to the bite. (All the broth may not be needed.)
• 3. Add the remaining ¼ cup champagne and continue stirring until almost absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the half-and-half and the ½ cup Parmesan, and serve immediately. If desired, pass additional Parmesan at the table.