A chilled version of the French bistro favorite.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (about 1¼ pounds) cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked white beans, drained
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- Green or red leaf lettuce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and sauté until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring several times.
2. Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté until garlic is golden. Remove chicken and garlic to a medium bowl. Add the water to the skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve any browned-on bits. Pour the liquid from the skillet into a glass measuring cup; discard excess or add water to make ¼ cup.
3. Add the skillet liquid, the remaining oil, the vinegar, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the chicken and garlic in the bowl; stir together. Stir in beans, tomato, the pepper, and scallions. Spoon onto a bed of leaf lettuce.
4. Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate, covered, until 30 minutes before serving.
Vegetarian Variation: Omit the chicken; add 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cut into ½-inch cubes, along with the beans.