- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: A Day Or More
- Skill Level: Challenging
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 10 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This version of the Sicilian frozen dessert is loaded with fruit and utterly irresistible.
1. Bring the sugar and ¼ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
2. Beat the egg yolks with a hand-held electric mixer, slowly adding the hot syrup, until the mixture is cooled, thick, and pale. Fold in the whipped cream and vanilla. Transfer one third of the mixture to another bowl and stir in the cherries, apricots, pineapple, and pistachios. Cover and refrigerate.
3. Purèe the raspberries in a blender. Rub through a fine sieve to remove the seeds and stir into the plain cream mixture. Pour into shallow metal baking dish and freeze, stirring occasionally, with a large metal spoon, about 4 hours, until partially set. Freeze a metal bowl with about 3½ cups capacity until very cold. Spread the raspberry cream in the bottom and up the sides of the bowl, leaving a cavity in the center. Fill with the chilled fruit mixture. Cover and freeze at least 8 hours, until firm.
4. Dip the bowl into warm water for a few seconds and then invert onto a serving plate and remove the bowl. Decorate with dried fruits and pistachio nuts, if desired. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Freeze for up to 4 months
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and does not include optional dried fruits and nuts.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox