For a change of pace from leafy green salad, make this simple slaw for a weekend dinner. Toasting walnuts enhances their flavor, but you should use them untoasted rather than not making this delicious, colorful salad at all.
- 1 pound carrots
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts (see Note)
- One 4-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and shredded on a box grater
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Using a food processor fitted with the coarse shredding blade, shred the carrots. Combine the carrots, cranberries, and walnuts in a large bowl.
2. A handful at a time, squeeze the shredded ginger into a medium bowl to extract the juice. You should have 2 tablespoons ginger juice. Add the shallot and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the oil. Pour over the carrot mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate to soften the cranberries, about 1 hour. (The salad can be made up to 2 days ahead.) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve chilled.