This is a dish with very rich flavors. Serve with a simple, light fish—no sauce.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small bunch (1 1/2 pounds) cardoons, trimmed, peeled, cut into 3-inch lengths and boiled (see Notes), then sliced lengthwise into 3/4 to 1-inch strips (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Roasted Chicken Stock , Enriched Chicken Stock or commercial chicken broth
- 2/3 cup Kalamata olives (4 ounces), pitted and chopped (about 6 tablespoons)
- ¾ teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the cardoons and parsley. Stir briefly over medium heat. Add the flour, tossing to coat. Stir in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in the olives and anchovy paste. Cook for 1 minute, uncovered, to thicken and reduce the sauce. Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.