- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 2 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Cooking them in milk allows these delicious car-doons to retain their pale green color. Serve this at room temperature, but be sure to prepare it well ahead so that the flavors have time to richen.
1. Trim the cardoons as you would celery. Scrape the ribbed side of each stalk with a sharp knife to remove strings and any brown skin. Cut them into ¼-inch-thick slices, dropping the slices in a bowl of cold water.
2. Combine the water, milk, salt, and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the sliced cardoons, and simmer for 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
3. Stir the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Toss the cardoons with the dressing. Let the mixture stand for several hours, loosely covered, at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve as a side dish or appetizer, scooping up the cardoons with a slotted spoon.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox