- Course: Side Dish, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
Finocchio e Cipolle Caramellizate con Scorza d’Arancia
Fennel is a favorite ingredient in many of our meals. In fact, it’s often eaten raw, as a kind of palate cleaner and digestive, after eating dinner. This very versatile vegetable, which has a mild licorice flavor, combines beautifully with orange and is perfect with any meat or fish.
- 3 fennel bulbs, tops and fronds removed (save them for garnish)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 orange
Cut each fennel bulb in half, remove stalks and root ends, and cut into 1⁄4-inch slices. Combine with the sliced onion. Add salt and pepper.
Heat the oil and butter together in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the fennel and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until they’re caramelized.
Zest then juice the orange. Add juice to the fennel and onion mixture and stir.
Garnish with fronds and orange zest. Serve immediately.
© 2010 Maria Filice
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.