Sosaties are a South African barbecue favorite, consisting of kebabs in a spicy marinade. Originally, lamb was the meat of choice for these savory skewers, but today beef and chicken are used as well.
- 6 (90 mL) tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10 mL) tsp turmeric
- 1½ (20 mL) tbsp garam masala
- ¼ cup (50 mL) white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) apricot jam
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 6 oz (185 g) dried apricots
- Shallow glass or ceramic baking dish
1. In a skillet warm 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant. Reduce heat to low. Add turmeric and garam masala; sauté for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, jam and remaining vegetable oil. Set aside.
2. Thread chicken and apricots, alternately, onto skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak in water for 1 hour beforehand). Place skewers in baking dish. Cover with spice mixture, turning to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
3. Remove skewers from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. Transfer chicken to a platter. Pour any remaining marinade into a small saucepan; boil for 5 minutes.
4. Preheat grill to medium-high. Grill chicken for 10 to 15 minutes, turning and basting with reserved marinade. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.