My daughter, Sydney, LOVES these cupcakes. She said, “I love the way the chocolate melts in your mouth and I especially love to dig for the candy bar at the bottom of the cupcake. It’s like finding hidden treasure.”
- 1¼ cups (300 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely ground coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 2 large candy bars (such as Milky Way), cut into chunks
- About 1 cup (250 mL) frosting (see frosting suggestions in Notes)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, coffee, egg and vanilla until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped candy bars.
3. Scoop batter into a muffin pan, lined with paper liners. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 27 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Variaton: Substitute ½ cup (125 mL) whole candy-coated chocolate pieces, such as M&M’s or Smarties, for the chopped candy bars.
Nutritional information is based on 1 cupcake per serving and does not include frosting. For nutritional information on frosting, please follow the link above.