This is an easy way to coax the non–liver lovers in the family to try it. The charred crust and orange fragrance make it very hard to turndown.
- Grated zest and juice of ½ orange
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
- 5 bay leaves, 1 crushed, 4 broken into pieces
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 1½ pounds calf’s liver, cut into pieces about 2 inches square
- About 1 pound caul fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 whole scallions, grilled, set aside
1. Preheat the grill or broiler.
2. In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, garlic, rosemary, crushed bay leaf, red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon salt. Rub each piece of liver all over with the mixture. Wrap each piece in a square of caul fat, tucking a bay leaf into each package.
3. Grill or broil the packages, turning often and basting with the orange juice, for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with the zest and scallions.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.