Calf’s Liver with Orange
Published by Ecco
This is an easy way to coax the non–liver lovers in the family to try it. The charred crust and orange fragrance make it very hard to turndown.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturefruity, herby, rich, savory
- Grated zest and juice of ½ orange
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
- 5 bay leaves, 1 crushed, 4 broken into pieces
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
- 1½ pounds calf’s liver, cut into pieces about 2 inches square
- About 1 pound caul fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 whole scallions, grilled, set aside
Preheat the grill or broiler.
In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, garlic, rosemary, crushed bay leaf, red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon salt. Rub each piece of liver all over with the mixture. Wrap each piece in a square of caul fat, tucking a bay leaf into each package.
Grill or broil the packages, turning often and basting with the orange juice, for about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with the zest and scallions.
2005 Mario Batali