- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 4 Times
For the mushrooms:
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons low-salt Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, gills removed, cut on the bias into ¼-inch slices
Rémoulade (makes 1 1/4 cups):
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoon minced red bell pepper
- About ¼ cup Remoulade
- 4 soft sandwich rolls, split
- 4 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed, and sliced
For the Rémoulade
Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend on high for 1 minute. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
1. Make the mushrooms: Place a large pot over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the oil and heat for 1 minute, being careful not to let it smoke. This will create a nonstick effect.
2. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened. Add 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning, along with the wine, vinegar, and 1 cup water, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Pour the mushrooms and liquid into a shallow container, cover, and set aside to marinate for 1 hour.
4. Remove the mushrooms from the marinade and press between paper towels or in a cotton dish towel to remove the excess marinade, then sprinkle with the remaining Cajun seasoning, pressing the seasoning into both sides of the mushroom slices. Discard the marinade.
5. In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, cook the mushrooms in a single layer (you may have to do this in two batches) until blackened, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
6. Assemble the sandwiches: Spread a spoonful of the Remoulade on one half of each roll. Top each with 1 or 2 lettuce leaves and a few slices of tomato and avocado. Divide the mushroom slices among the rolls. Close each sandwich, cut in half, and serve.
© 2009 Tal Ronnen and Melcher Media
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.