Cabbage and Cannellini Bean Soup with Pasta
Total Timea day or more
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationappetizer, main course
Taste and Texturejuicy, light, savory
- 4 ounces dry cannellini beans
- 8 cups water or chicken stock or veal stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, bruised
- 1 pound cabbage, quartered and cut into thin ribbons
- 2 ounces egg noodles
- Salt and plenty of freshly milled black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmigiano cheese, for the table
Soak beans overnight. Pick over and discard any small stones, and rinse beans well. Place beans in a pot with the water or stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt.
Meanwhile, combine butter, onion, and garlic in a pot that will be large enough to hold beans and their liquid. Sauté gently until garlic is softened. Add cabbage and stir. Cover and cook over low heat until cabbage is soft, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, bring 5 to 6 cups water to a rolling boil. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and pasta. Stir, continuing to stir frequently to prevent pasta from sticking together. Cook until pasta is tender but firm (al dente), then drain and add to cabbage and beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir, and serve immediately. Pass parmigiano at the table.
1991 Julia della Croce