- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 249 Times
The cheese complements the sweet roasted squash.
- 1 butternut squash, about 2lb (900g), peeled and seeded
- 1 red onion, cut into eighths
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb (450g) dried penne
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp chopped sage
- Freshly grated Parmesan, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Peel the squash. Cut the squash into 1in (2.5cm) cubes.
2. Toss the squash, onion, oil, and balsamic vinegar in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender. During the last few minutes, stir in the garlic.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted water over high heat until al dente. Drain and return to the saucepan. Add the roasted vegetables, Gruyere, creme fraiche, and sage, and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in deep bowls, with olive oil and the Parmesan cheese passed on the side.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include Parmesan to serve.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox