- Course: Side Dish, Snack
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 14 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
During the brief interlude in which we served breakfast at Chanterelle, these pleasant-tasting, not-too-sweet muffins were part of the bread-basket assortment for each table. Orange zest complements the flavor of the cornmeal, and buttermilk ensures a tender crumb. The secret to great muffins is to avoid overmixing the wet and dry ingredients; they should be stirred, gently, until just combined.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly to mix.
3. Using the whisk, beat the eggs in a medium-size bowl, then add the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, and vanilla and whisk well to blend. Pour the mixture into the flour mixture and whisk just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not overmix.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each almost to the top. Bake until risen and very lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes; a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin will come out clean.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information is for 1 muffin.