- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 18 Times
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 4 medium eggs, preferably free-range or organic
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 6 Taste the Difference hot cross buns, or your favorite hot cross buns, sliced in half and spread with a knob of butter
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- A handful of dried apricots, chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- A little powdered sugar
1. Preheat the over to 325°F.
2. For the custard base, bring the milk and cream just to the boil in a saucepan. Cut the vanilla bean in half, scrape out the seeds and add to the pan.
3. Whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale, then whisk in the milk and cream mixture, removing the vanilla bean shell.
4. Dip the hot cross bun halves in the mixture, then place in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle over the cognac and sprinkle over the apricots and the orange zest. Strain the custard over, and leave it all to soak for at least 15 minutes.
5. Place the dish in a roasting tin, half-fill the tin with hot water, then bake the pudding for about 45 minutes. When cooked it will have a slight crust on top but will still be slightly wobbly inside. Dust with the powdered sugar and serve.
© 2013 Jamie Oliver
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information does not include taste the difference hot cross buns, or your favorite hot cross buns, a knob of butter, or powdered sugar for serving. A handful is equivalent to ¼ cup.