- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
This rustic salad from the Bekaa Valley does not feature on the standard restaurant menu. It began originally as the leftover, meatless filling for vine leaves. Make it with fine-ground bulgur.
- 1 cup fine- or medium-ground bulgur
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 2½ to 3 lemons
- Salt and black pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- One 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 3½ cups loosely packed finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup loosely packed finely chopped mint leaves
Soak the bulgur in plenty of cold water for 20 minutes, until tender, then drain and squeeze out the excess water. In a bowl, mix the garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Soak the drained chickpeas in this for 10 minutes, then stir in the bulgur.
Mix in the chopped herbs when you are ready to serve.
© 2005 Claudia Roden
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox