Bulgur and Chickpea Salad
This rustic salad from the Bekaa Valley does not feature on the standard restaurant menu. It began originally as the leftover, meatless filling for vine leaves. Make it with fine-ground bulgur.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseantipasto/mezze, side dish
Dietary Considerationantipasto/mezze, side dish
Taste and Texturegarlicky, herby, light, tart
Type of Dishsalad
- 1 cup fine- or medium-ground bulgur
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 2½ to 3 lemons
- Salt and black pepper
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- One 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 3½ cups loosely packed finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup loosely packed finely chopped mint leaves
Soak the bulgur in plenty of cold water for 20 minutes, until tender, then drain and squeeze out the excess water. In a bowl, mix the garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Soak the drained chickpeas in this for 10 minutes, then stir in the bulgur.
Mix in the chopped herbs when you are ready to serve.
2005 Claudia Roden