- 2 large yuzu (yuzu citron) or 1 large lemon
- 3½ ounces akamiso (brown miso) (about ½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
- ¼ cup mirin (sweet cooking wine)
- 1 egg yolk from large egg
Using a fine grater, grate the rinds of 2 yuzu or 1 lemon into a cup. Squeeze the yuzu or lemon to obtain about 2 tablespoons of juice.
Put the brown miso, sugar, sake, mirin, and egg yolk in a saucepan and mix with a whisk until smooth. Set the saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the sauce is no longer watery, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the grated yuzu or lemon rind and juice and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool. Store the sauce in a clean lidded jar in the refrigerator.