I discovered burritos in California and they haven’t lost their appeal. As with frittatas, you can fill them with whatever’s handy: onions, spinach, goat’s cheese… the list is endless.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, savory
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried red chile flakes
- ½ cup of chopped tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of cheese, Cheddar or similar, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tortillas, stoneground corn or whole wheat
- A little chopped fresh parsley
First, heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the scallions, chile and tomatoes and stir for a few minutes. Take off the heat and set aside. Scramble the eggs, adding the cheese at the last minute. Stir in the chiles-tomato mixture and season.
In a nonstick pan, heat the tortillas one after the other, for about 30 seconds each side. Put flat on a plate and spoon on the egg mixture, with the parsley, and roll them up.
2009 Sophie Dahl