Bits of apple and soy sausage dot this casserole, which can be assembled in advance and put in the cooker just before going to bed. Because it cooks in about six hours, however, it’s best made in a slow cooker that has an automatic Keep Warm setting if you like to sleep in. It can also be served for brunch, lunch, or as a light supper.
- 4½ cups cubed French or Italian bread
- 3 large cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Rome Beauty, cored, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk or soy milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 12 ounces cooked soy sausage, crumbled
1. Press half the bread cubes into the bottom of a lightly oiled 4-quart slow cooker.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples, cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar, and salt. Pour on the milk and maple syrup, stirring to blend.
3. Carefully pour half the apple mixture over the bread and push the bread pieces down beneath the mixture to moisten them. Top with half the sausage, the remaining bread, the remaining sausage, followed by the remaining apple mixture. Press down to be sure the bread is moistened. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours.
This recipe serves 6.