- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 8 Times
- 3 slices (about 2 cups/500 mL) day-old bread, crusts removed, cut into cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 6-cup (1.5 L) casserole dish, greased
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) baking pan
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. Spoon the bread cubes into prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, over low heat, heat milk, sugar, butter and salt just until butter has melted.
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla. Whisk in the heated milk mixture until well blended. Spoon over bread cubes. Place in baking pan set on oven rack and pour in water to a depth of 1 inch (2.5 cm).
4. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the edge of the pan comes out clean and dry. Let cool on a wire rack.
5. Prepare the lemon sauce: In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt and mix to blend. Stir in water and zest and bring to a boil, cooking and stirring for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, lemon juice and food coloring (if using). Stir until well blended. Serve warm or cold over pudding.
© 2008 Esther Brody
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox