A smoothie is a great way to get a healthy serving of fruit on the go. By adding ground flaxseed you are adding great omega-3’s that help with brain development and fighting cholesterol, without changing the flavor. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants. I use organic frozen berries because they are picked at their prime and have more flavor and vitamins than out-of-season berries. Surprisingly, they can also be less expensive. To give your smoothie a rich and creamy texture, use frozen bananas.
- 1 cup fresh or organic frozen blueberries (or peaches, raspberries, & strawberries)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1½ cups pomegranate or other unsweetened fruit juice
- ½ cup plain organic kefir (or substitute plain yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Optional: If you prefer it sweeter, add honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
1. Put everything in the blender...enjoy.