These blueberry muffins are the only ones that we’ve made every day since Foster’s opened over a decade ago. That’s over four thousand days of blueberry muffins! Our customers demand them; they’re delicious plain or with butter. Adding finely chopped blueberries to the batter—in addition to whole berries—is the key to these moist, flavorful muffins. They freeze well, so make an extra batch for hurried mornings.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (see Notes)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line 12 large muffin cups with paper liners and spray the top part of the pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
3. Combine or sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together the butter, eggs, milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a separate bowl until well combined.
5. Place 1 cup of the blueberries in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse several times until coarsely chopped. Stir the chopped berries into the egg mixture.
6. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moist and blended. Do not overmix. Fold in the remaining whole blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan with a large ice cream scoop (1/3-cup scoop). The batter will come to the top of the paper liner or pan.
7. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Turn the muffins out of the pan and serve immediately.
Variations: Substitute raspberries, blackberries, or strawberries for some of the blueberries for a mixed-berry muffin.
If using frozen blueberries, use them while they are still frozen; it helps hold the shape of the muffin (otherwise, the batter will become too watery).
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.