- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water and drained
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Fresh green leaf lettuce or spinach leaves
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add quinoa and stir until toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, cumin, and salt; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and allow to stand covered for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk together the remaining olive oil, the lime juice, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the black beans, corn, red pepper, tomato, scallions, cilantro, and parsley. Stir in the quinoa.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving. Serve on a bed of lettuce.
Variation: For a more pronounced Southwestern flavor, substitute 1 cup of your favorite salsa for the tomato.