- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 6 Times
This bean salad is a great accompaniment to barbecues as well as to any Caribbean or Latin meal. Turtle beans, as black beans are sometimes referred to, blend well with the sweet taste of the mangoes. We’ve added a habanero because we like the extra heat, but it can be omitted to reduce the heat level, and other fruits can be substituted for the mangoes. Canned black beans and ready-prepared adobo seasoning make this salad a snap to throw together.
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups diced mango; or substitute pineapple or peaches
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small habanero chile, stem and seeds removed, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime or orange juice, preferably fresh
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning, store-bought or homemade
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Combine all the salad ingredients in another bowl, pour the dressing over the top, and gently toss to mix.
© 2005 Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information does not include adobo seasoning. For nutritional information on adobo seasoning, please follow the link above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox