- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 113 Times
A basket of warm cornbread would make a good accompaniment for this south-of-the-border salad. Choose long-grain white rice for a striking color contrast or brown rice to add a slightly nutty flavor to the dish.
- 1 teaspoon minced lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe Hass avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain white or brown rice
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained if canned
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- One 4-ounce can diced mild green chiles, drained
- Torn romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved, for garnish
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, vinegar, orange juice, garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, and cayenne. Whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream until emulsified and smooth. Set aside.
2. Peel and pit the avocados, cut into ½-inch dice, and toss with the lemon juice.
3. In a large bowl, combine the rice, beans, onion, chiles, and avocados. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Line plates or shallow bowls with lettuce leaves and top with the salad. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes and serve.
© 2007 Robin Robertson