Bibb Lettuce Salad
Sweet Bibb lettuce contrasts well with a piquant, creamy Parmesan dressing. Good with crisp cooked pancetta, or bacon, or strips of prosciutto scattered on top.
Prepare ahead: The croutons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Refrigerate the dressing for up to 3 days.
Preparation Time20 min
Preparation Time - Text20 mins
Cooking Time10 min
Cooking Time - Text15
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturecheesy, crunchy
Type of Dishfirst course salad
- 12 thin baguette slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Bibb lettuce
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 anchovies in oil, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). To make croutons, cut the sliced bread into quarters. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until crisp. Let cool.
To make the dressing, process the egg, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, and garlic in a blender. With the machine running, drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in a little water if the dressing is too thick. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Serve, topping each serving with the croutons and Parmesan shavings, if desired.
3. Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Serve, topping each serving with the croutons and Parmesan shavings, if desired.
2008 Dorling Kindersley