- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 6 Times
Sweet Bibb lettuce contrasts well with a piquant, creamy Parmesan dressing. Good with crisp cooked pancetta, or bacon, or strips of prosciutto scattered on top.
- 12 thin baguette slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads Bibb lettuce
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish
For the dressing:
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 anchovies in oil, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). To make croutons, cut the sliced bread into quarters. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until crisp. Let cool.
2. To make the dressing, process the egg, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, and garlic in a blender. With the machine running, drizzle in the oil. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in a little water if the dressing is too thick. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
3. Wash and dry the lettuce. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Serve, topping each serving with the croutons and Parmesan shavings, if desired.
Prepare ahead: The croutons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Refrigerate the dressing for up to 3 days.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per servings and does not include Parmesan garnish.