The berry flavor blasts right through the crispy topping. It is quite colorful, and pretty enough for company. You can vary the berries to suit the season—or use frozen if fresh are not available.
Cooking Time15 min
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Taste and Texturefruity, sweet
- 4 cups assorted berries, such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup sugar or honey
- ¾ cup each all purpose flour and wheat flake cereal, crushed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pequin chile
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup apple juice concentrate
- Frozen yoghurt or low-fat ice cream
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Rinse the berries and place in a buttered baking dish. Squeeze the lime evenly over the top. Sprinkle with sugar. Combine the flour, cereal, butter, pequin chile, and cinnamon. Stir in the apple juice. Spread the batter over the berries. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the topping is browned and crusty. Serve with frozen yogurt or ice cream.
2006 Jane Butel