If you can find them, use 3 bright red endives and 6 light yellow. This is a wonderful salad for a first course, followed by Grilled Veal Chops with Mushroom-Leek Compote. I like to serve this salad after the main course since it has all the components for a cheese and fruit course.
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 9 Belgian endives, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
1. In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and aromatic. Set aside.
3. In a salad bowl, combine the endive, pears, and toasted pecans. Sprinkle the cheese over. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
4. To serve, drizzle the dressing over all and toss to mix well.
This can be prepared through Step 3 up to 4 hours ahead, covered, and refrigerated.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.