- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 49 Times
- 1½ to 2 pounds beets, steamed or roasted and peeled
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 4 ounces ricotta salata, thinly sliced
- 8 Kalamata olives
Cut the beets into wedges or large dice, keeping different colors separate. Pound the garlic with ¼ teaspoon salt in a mortar until smooth, then whisk in the lemon juice and olive oil. The dressing should be a little on the tart side. Toss the beets in enough dressing to coat lightly. Arrange them on a platter and garnish with arugula. Just before serving, tuck the cheese and olives among the greens. If any dressing remains, spoon it over the cheese.
© 1997 Deborah Madison
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.