- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 45 Times
Always impressive for a dinner-party main course.
- 2¼ lb (1kg) beef tenderloin, cut from the thick end, well trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 oz (250g) cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp brandy or Madeira
- One 17.3 oz (484g) box thawed frozen puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten, for glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Season the meat with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add the beef and cook, turning often, about 5 minutes. Place the beef on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 10 minutes. Let cool.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, until just softened. Add the mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the juices have evaporated. Add the brandy and boil for 30 seconds. Let cool.
3. Roll one pastry sheet and trim into a rectangle 2in (5cm) larger than the beef fillet. Place on a baking sheet and prick well with a fork. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Let cool, then trim any uneven edges with a serrated knife.
4. Place the pastry rectangle on a baking sheet. Spread 1/3 of the mushroom mixture down the center. Place the beef on top and spread the remaining mushroom mixture on top. Roll out the remaining pastry sheet large enough to cover the beef. Brush the exposed edge of the pastry with beaten egg. Place the rolled dough over the beef, tucking and pressing the dough to the baked pastry base to adhere.
5. Brush with beaten egg. Decorate with pastry trimmings, and brush again. Make a slit in the center. Bake about 30 minutes, until 130°F for rare. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox