- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 9 Times
Insalata di Fagioli Alla Bandiera
The bandiera, or “flag,” symbolized in this dish is the red, green and white banner of italy. The secret to this delicious salad is to use fresh marjoram or thyme. If this isn’t possible, substitute dried marjoram or thyme, but be sure to marinate it in the dressing before adding it to the beans.
- 1-½ cups dried cannellini or Great Northern beans, or 3 cups drained canned white beans
- 1 fresh red sweet pepper, or ½ cup bottled red sweet peppers, well drained
- 1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
- 2 green onions, white part only, very thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Scant 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Soak and cook the dried beans, if using. Drain well. You will have about 3 cups cooked beans; set aside. If using canned beans, rinse them briefly in cold water and drain well. Roast the fresh sweet . When the pepper is cool enough to handle, slip off the skin, cut the pepper in half, and remove and discard the stem, ribs, and seeds. Cut the fresh roasted pepper or the bottled peppers, if using, into ½-inch squares.
2. Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the green beans (the salt will help them to retain their color) and boil until tender but still firm, about 7 minutes. As soon as they are cooked, plunge them into cold water. Drain well.
3. To make the dressing, in a small bowl stir together the lemon juice and oil. If you are using dried marjoram or thyme, add it to the dressing. Combine the white beans, sweet pepper, green beans, fresh marjoram or thyme, and green onions in a serving bowl. Add the dressing and salt and pepper to taste and toss well. Sprinkle on the parsley and serve at room temperature.
© 1993 Julia della Croce
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.