- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 17 Times
This chili is full flavored and very versatile. Try wrapping some in a flour tortilla for a veggie burrito.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 4 medium-size garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 oz)can tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup ground hot chile
- ¼ cup ground medium-hot chile
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf Mexican oregano
- 1½ cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup tomato juice
- ½ cup bulgur
- 2 (15¼ oz) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until the onions are softened. Add celery, carrots, tomatoes, lemon juice, ground chiles, cumin, pepper, and oregano to the onions and cook, covered, until the vegetables are nearly tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring the tomato juice to a boil in a small saucepan and stir in bulgur. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes.
Add kidney beans and salt to the vegetables, then add the bulgur mixture. Stir thoroughly and simmer 30 minutes over low heat. The chili will be thick; add water as needed and stir occasionally to keep from sticking. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
© 1994 Jane Butel
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox