- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 20 Times
The crisp, light batter satisfies the craving for fish and chips. Treat yourself.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cornstarch
- ½ tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1 lb (500 g) fish fillets, such as sole, haddock or tilapia
- ¼ cup (50 mL) sweet rice flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
Preheat oil in deep fryer or wok to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Sift cornstarch and paprika over beaten egg whites. With a rubber spatula, fold in. Set aside.
2. Rinse fillets under cold running water and pat dry. Dredge in sweet rice flour. Dip into prepared batter to generously coat, leaving as much batter on the fish as possible.
3. Deep-fry fish for 2 to 4 minutes on each side or until coating is crisp and the fish is fork-tender. Drain on paper towels.
Variation: For a spicier coating, substitute a pinch of cayenne pepper for the paprika.
Don’t omit the paprika — it helps the batter to lightly brown.
© 2003 Donna Washburn and Heather Butt
Nutritional information is based on three tablespoons vegetable oil per serving.