Basil-flavored oil rather than fresh herbs gives this vinaigrette an emerald-green color and a subtle but unmistakable herb flavor--as well as the ultimate summer fragrance. The vinaigrette is versatile; you can hardly go wrong combining basil’s peppery sweetness with any salad, vegetable, or fish.
Basil Vinaigrette can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks. Whisk to recombine before using.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Textureherby, light, savory, tangy
Type of Dishdressing, marinades
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus a little more, if needed
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar, plus a little more, if needed
- 1 cup Basil Oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salad of Field Greens with Lentils and Goat Cheese
- Marinated Tuna Salade Niçoise
- Any poached or seared and roasted fish
In a medium bowl, whisk the salt with the vinegar until the salt is dissolved. Slowly whisk in the basil oil until emulsified. Taste. Season with pepper and a little more salt, if needed, and add more vinegar or oil, if needed.
1996 Debra Ponzek and Joan Schwartz