- 1 cup white rice (long, medium, or short grain; regular or parboiled)
- 1½ to 2½ cups water or broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, rice bran oil, or olive oil
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt to taste
• 1. If using imported rice, rinse the rice carefully several times and remove any small stones or impurities. This step is unnecessary for U.S.-grown rice.
• 2. Combine the rice with 2 cups water for long grain regular rice, 1¾ cups water for short or medium grain regular rice or 2½ cups water for parboiled rice with the butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan with lid.
• 3. Bring the rice mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and cook 15 to 18 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings and uses water, not broth.