- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery ribs, including a few leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, including half of the greens
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 8 parsley branches
- 6 thyme sprigs or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
This basic stock is flavor rich with a golden hue. Include any trimmings from the vegetables you’re using that are appropriate.
Scrub the vegetables and chop them roughly into l-inch chunks. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the vegetables, yeast, garlic, and herbs and cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The more color they get, the richer the flavor of the stock. Add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 quarts cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain.
© 1997 Deborah Madison
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings, and does not include optional yeast.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox