- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 5 Times
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 2 celery ribs, including a few leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, including half of the greens
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, optional
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 8 parsley branches
- 6 thyme sprigs or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
This basic stock is flavor rich with a golden hue. Include any trimmings from the vegetables you’re using that are appropriate.
Scrub the vegetables and chop them roughly into l-inch chunks. Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the vegetables, yeast, garlic, and herbs and cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The more color they get, the richer the flavor of the stock. Add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 quarts cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain.
© 1997 Deborah Madison
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings, and does not include optional yeast.