- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 14 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Here is a basic pizza dough with instructions for making it by hand.
1. Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in center. Sprinkle dry yeast or crumble fresh yeast into well. Pour ½ cup of the lukewarm water over yeast and leave for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast. Add remaining water, the oil, and salt to well and mix with ingredients in middle of well.
2. Stir in flour and mix thoroughly to obtain a fairly soft dough. If dough is dry, knead in 1 tablespoon water; if dough is very sticky, knead in 1 to 2 tablespoons flour.
3. Knead dough by slapping it vigorously on a lightly floured work surface until dough is very smooth and elastic. Flour work surface occasionally if dough sticks.
4. Transfer dough to a clean bowl and sprinkle it with a little flour. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
5. Punch dough down and knead again briefly on a floured surface until smooth. Return to bowl and cover.
6. Return to warm place and let rise 30 to 45 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
7. Shape according to individual recipe.
May be prepared up to 8 hours ahead through Step 5 and refrigerated. To continue, remove from refrigerator and let rise 20 to 30 minutes, then shape according to individual recipe.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.