- ½ pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained by package directions and chilled
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup minced scallions or 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup minced sweet green and/or red pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons prepared mild yellow mustard
- 1½ teaspoons salt (about)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Mix all ingredients, cover, and chill several hours; taste for salt and adjust. Serve garnished with tomato wedges and quartered hard-cooked egg.
Cheese-Macaroni Salad: Prepare as directed but add 1 cup diced sharp Cheddar, Swiss, or Gruyere cheese and use ½ cup each mayonnaise and Roquefort or blue cheese dressing.
Per serving: 725 C, 55 mg en. 1,250 mg S*
Macaroni and Meat, Chicken or Shellfish Salad: Prepare as directed but add 3 cups cubed cooked ham, tongue, chicken, turkey, or shellfish and an extra 1/3 cup mayonnaise or ¼ cup French dressing. Serve as an entree.
Per serving (with ham): 630 C, 70 mg en. 1,955 mg S*
Per serving(with chicken): 635 C, 90 mg CH, 935 mg S*
Per serving (with shellfish): 570 C, 90 mg CH, 1,025 mg S
“Deli” Salad: Mix 2 cups Basic Macaroni Salad with 2-2½ cups mixed cubed salami, bologna, corned beef, ham, tongue, luncheon meat, or chicken roll–whatever combination pleases you; chill well and serve as an entree.
Per serving (with bologna): 425 C, 40 mg CR, 1,020 mg S*
Per serving (with chicken roll): 350 C, 40 mg CR, 815 mg S*
Per serving (with scallions, without garnish): 415 C, 20 mg cu. 805 mg S*