- 1 cup brown rice
- 2½ cup water or broth
- 1 teaspoon butter, rice bran oil, or olive oil
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt to taste
• 1. If using imported rice, rinse the rice carefully several times and remove any small stones or impurities. Do not rinse U.S.-grown rice.
• 2. Combine the brown rice, water, butter, and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan with a lid.
• 3. Bring the rice mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and cook 45 to 50 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings and using water instead of broth.